TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Worcester Warriors 34 Scarlets 18

10 Nov 2012
Worcester Warriors 34 Scarlets 18

Four second-half tries from Worcester Warriors were enough to ensure a bonus-point 34-18 opening success at home to the Scarlets in the LV= Cup.

The Scarlets led 13-6 at half-time after a try from Andy Fenby but the introduction of Andy Goode in the second half made a big difference for the Warriors.

Ben Howard, Semisi Taulava, Jake Abbott and Neil Best all went over after the break and despite Kristian Phillips’ try the Scarlets left Sixways empty-handed.

Worcester came into the game on the back of last week’s disappointing loss at Exeter, while the Scarlets sit second in the RaboDirect PRO12.

It took Worcester just three minutes to break the deadlock with a penalty from fly-half Joe Carlisle but that was cancelled out three minutes later by opposite number Owen Williams.

The pair traded another penalty apiece to leave the scores level at 6-6 with quarter of an hour gone but then the Scarlets went over for the first try.

After a big tackle on Jake Abbott the Scarlets counterattacked through Kristian Phillips, the young winger piercing the Worcester defence before chipping through for Fenby to score.

With neither side able to execute as they would like the game became fractious and it boiled over on the half-hour.

An incident at a lineout ended with some disagreements between the two packs and Dean Schofield and Johan Snyman were both sent to the sin bin for the remainder of the half.

Williams had the chance to extend his side’s lead but missed the ensuing penalty as the Scarlets went in 13-6 up at the break.

Richard Hill’s team were struggling to impose themselves and the Worcester boss made changes by bringing on Andy Goode and youngster Ben Howard.

That paid dividends when Howard went over for his first senior try for the club after good work from the Warriors forwards 15 minutes into the second half. Carlisle added the conversion to level things.

Still the home side were not having it all their own way but with 12 minutes remaining they scored the try that killed off the Scarlets' hopes.

Semisi Taulava, a late addition to the bench in the absence of James Percival, showed all his power as he barged his way over for the Warriors’ second try, Carlisle again converting.

And five minutes later Worcester added a third through Abbott, again the power of the Warriors forwards proving decisive.

From a lineout drive Abbott was the man who emerged as the Scarlets could do nothing to stop a powerful Worcester rolling maul.

The Scarlets gave themselves some hope when they pulled a try back through Phillips, the winger too quick for Jonny Arr as he sprinted over, but Gareth Owen missed the conversion to leave Worcester more than a score clear.

With seconds remaining the Warriors went over once more, Chris Jones hacked a loose ball forward and Best dived over for the try.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News