TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Worcester Warriors 29 London Wasps 23

01 Mar 2013
Worcester Warriors 29 London Wasps 23

Jonny Arr’s try 12 minutes from time sealed a vital bonus-point 29-23 win for Worcester Warriors dealing London Wasps’ Aviva Premiership play-off hopes a blow in the process.

In a topsy-turvy encounter, the Warriors made much the quicker start, racing into a 15-6 half-time lead, only for Wasps to roar back and take the lead early in the second half.

However from there, Richard Hill’s men took control, culminating in scrum-half Arr’s score off the back of a lineout to guarantee a first Premiership win since December.

The Warriors had lost five straight to slip back into the relegation battle, but will feel much more secure after this success.

It took Worcester just five minutes to take the lead, Andy Goode on target with an early penalty, but it was soon cancelled out by Wasps fly-half Nicky Robinson.

Wasps were in the ascendancy, and took the lead with a second Robinson penalty, after Worcester had been forced to infringe while desperately defending.

But the lead lasted just two minutes before Chris Pennell went over for Worcester’s first try.

The move was started by James Percival before Jon Clark released the Warriors’ full-back to score, however Goode missed the conversion.

The Warriors fly-half made amends soon after though, producing a delightful chip to set up Worcester’s second try.

After some great work by the home pack, the ball was spread one way and then the other before Goode chipped over for David Lemi to dive over, the fly-half this time on target with his conversion to make it 15-6.

That was how it stayed until the break, with Robinson missing a chance to bring his side back to within a score.

However they were back in it right at the start of the second half as Worcester committed a catalogue of errors. Initially a mix-up between Arr and Neil Best allowed Ashley Johnson to hack forward.

After the home side had been penalised for killing the ball, T Rhys Thomas took a quick tap penalty to go over.

Josh Drauniniu was then sin-binned for an intentional knock-on, and Wasps took full advantage to take the lead.

Johnson, who had been influential in the first Wasps try, claimed the ball from a driving lineout and barged over, Robinson’s conversion making to make it 18-15.

Worcester responded almost immediately, with a try four minutes later from Blair Cowan, going over in similar fashion to Johnson from a driving lineout.

That appeared to be the spark that Worcester needed, and when Arr crossed ten minutes later, following Andrea Masi’s sin-binning, the game appeared safe, with replacement Danny Gray converting both.

There was still time for Jack Wallace to grab a losing bonus point for Wasps with a late score but it was too little too late.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News