TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Worcester Warriors 28 Gloucester Rugby 27

10 May 2014
Worcester Warriors 28 Gloucester Rugby 27

Worcester Warriors ended their Aviva Premiership season on a high after claiming just their second win of the season with a 28-27 victory in a back-and-forth match with Gloucester Rugby.

Gloucester had threatened to run away with the win in the first 20 minutes as they racked up a 17-3 lead.

But the impressive Warriors fly-half Ryan Lamb, born in Gloucester, racked up 18 points in total – keeping his cool late on with two penalties to seal their first home Aviva Premiership victory of the season.

Jonny May’s spectacular opening try got the match off to a blistering start as the England man gave Stuart Lancaster something to think about ahead of the summer tour to New Zealand.

May showed incredible pace and accelerated away from the helpless Worcester players, blasting past Lamb on his way to scoring what might be the try of the season.

Freddie Burns missed the resultant conversion but he made amends three minutes later as he rifled a pass out to Shane Monahan as contact came in and the Irishman made it 10-0.

Burns was faced with a second difficult conversion from wide and across the wind and he was once again unable to add to Gloucester’s early lead.

A Lamb penalty got Worcester on the board but Sione Kalamafoni added another try and Burns made his first conversion as Gloucester threatened to break away.

However, Semisi Taulava put an end to Gloucester’s momentum as Worcester hit back with a text-book try.

While Lamb missed the conversion, he picked up the ball in the dying embers of the half and bundled to the line.

And an easy conversion for Lamb meant that Gloucester’s 14-point lead had been cut to two at the break.

Warriors came out of the blocks fastest after the break and had a sharpness about their play that culminated in Josh Drauniniu putting Worcester ahead after 52 minutes.

Lamb’s conversion made it 22-17 but Gloucester refused to lie down and May picked up his second try of the day to tie the scores after 61 minutes.

And, while it might not have been as spectacular as his first, May picked his running line and crashed his way through.

Burns added another two points in his final match for Gloucester with a fantastic conversion across the wind from the touchline.

But Lamb gave Worcester a 25-24 lead with a 67th-minute penalty only for Freddie Burns to restore Gloucester’s advantage with a penalty of his own six minutes later.

However, the match continued to sway back-and-forth and former Gloucester man Lamb put the home side back in the lead with three minutes remaining.

A penalty with just over a minute remaining gave Burns the opportunity to end his Gloucester career on a high.

However, he was unable to convert and the Worcester fans rose to their feet as they sensed a rare victory.

Gloucester desperately tried to salvage the match but it was to no avail as the home crowd counted down the clock to toast a rare victory.