TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Wasps 71 London Welsh 7

16 Nov 2014
Wasps 71 London Welsh 7

Christian Wade and Ashley Johnson bagged themselves a hat-trick apiece as Wasps saw off London Welsh and ended their Aviva Premiership Rugby tenure at Adams Park in style.

In their 131st and final league match at the ground before moving to Coventry, Nathan Hughes got the ball rolling with just a minute gone before Johnson, Sailosi Tagicakibau and Hughes again made it 26-0 at half-time.

And things got out of hand for Welsh in the second period as Wade and Johnson completed their hat-tricks while Tom Varndell and Joe Simpson also dotted down to make it 11 tries in total for the hosts.

Ben Pienaar earned the Exiles the scantest of consolation but Wasps climb to fifth place in the league as their opponents are still searching for a first win of the season.

Wasps started brightly and were ahead within the first minute as Hughes crashed through the Welsh defence to touch down, setting up the conversion for Andy Goode.

And they extended their lead five minutes later – Johnson forcing his way through following a scrum before Goode then converted.

The Exiles’ first opportunity of the game came after 15 minutes through a Will Robinson penalty but he failed to capitalise with the ball sailing wide.

Some patient passing build-up by Wasps led to a Tagicakibau try five minutes later and once again Goode was able to add the extras.

Welsh number eight Chris Hala’ufia suffered a nasty-looking head injury after 30 minutes which led to a long delay and the introduction of new signing Opeti Fonua.

Hughes grabbed his second score of the game on 33 minutes, and wrapped up the four-try bonus point, as he capitalised on some defensive errors to race through although Goode was unable to convert.

Welsh showed some encouraging signs throughout the first half but Wasps were undoubtedly the better side and well worth their 26-0 lead going in to the break.

Five minutes after the break Elliot Daly showed great pace to set up Wade for the try and Goode had an easy conversion before Johnson added his second try of the game on 52 minutes after Joe Simpson had burst through.

Simpson went from provider to scorer three minutes later after a strong run from replacement Kearnan Myall but the game was not to be a complete shut out as replacement Pienaar grabbed a try for Welsh and Will Robinson converted.

Johnson completed his hat-trick after 63 minutes when he forced his way through but this time Goode couldn’t add the extras.

And Wasps soon took their lead up to 52 points when Varndell touched down five minutes later before substitute Alex Lozowski continued his impressive LV= Cup form to convert.

It was all too easy for the hosts and a minute later Wade beat the defence for his second try of the game before Lozowski nailed his second conversion.

Wade completed a hat-trick of his own after an assist from Myall and although Lozowski couldn’t convert that didn’t stop the celebrations as Wasps left one final memory at Adams Park.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News