TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Wasps 35 Newcastle Falcons 18

28 Sep 2014
Wasps 35 Newcastle Falcons 18

Wasps condemned Newcastle Falcons to their 20th consecutive Aviva Premiership Rugby loss after picking up a 35-18 win at Adams Park.

The afternoon started brightly for Falcons who were up inside five minutes thanks to a Juan Pablo Socino penalty and it wasn’t until the 20th minute that Wasps were able to get on the board.

However, good work by Andy Goode and Elliot Daly allowed Wasps to break quickly and send Tom Varndell in the clear to score beneath the posts. Goode added a simple conversion.

Falcons responded moments later and a penalty ten yards inside their own half was kicked by Socino to pull them within one.

But Wasps restored their four-point lead on 23 minutes thanks to a well-kicked penalty from Goode.

Five minutes later Wasps found themselves with a lineout in a dangerous area and, after the ball was worked up and down the line, lock James Gaskell was released to score to the left of the posts with Goode on hand to easily convert.

Newcastle had a chance to reduce their arrears shortly afterwards with a penalty once Wasps were penalised for offside, but the kick was hooked well wide by Socino.

The visitors spent the last ten minutes of the first half camped in the Wasps’ 22 and, despite excellent work by the home defence driving back wave after wave of Falcons attacks, the visitors finally got the reward when scrum-half Ruki Tipuna dived over near the left touchline, but Socino was unable to tag on the extra points.

Wasps began to impose themselves in the second half and Goode added two penalties in the first nine minutes to open up a 12-point gap.

Newcastle thought they had managed to pull a try back on the right wing shortly afterwards only to have it ruled out after the video replay was checked.

A second video replay was needed seconds later as Wasps burst down their left wing –Varndell broke clear and just avoided being forced into touch before he could score his second try of the game to make the score 30-11.

Both sides wrung the changes midway through the second half with Newcastle throwing on all available replacements in a bid to get back into the game but it was Wasps who looked most likely to add to their lead.

Their superiority was confirmed ten minutes from time when an excellent tackle from substitute Christian Wade allowed him to release full-back Rob Millar to power through and complete the try wide out right.

From the restart Newcastle pressed forwards and were awarded a controversial penalty try after Wade was adjudged to have caused a deliberate knock and sent to the sin bin.

But it was too little too late for Falcons who succumbed to another defeat.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News