TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Newcastle Falcons 20 Gloucester Rugby 10

21 Nov 2014
Newcastle Falcons 20 Gloucester Rugby 10

Sinoti Sinoti’s second-half try ensured Newcastle Falcons got back to winning ways at Kingston Park at the expense of Gloucester Rugby.

John Afoa gave the Cherry & Whites a dream start, touching down inside the first minute, but the boot of Rory Clegg soon erased the deficit.

Clegg’s opposite number, Billy Burns, saw a couple of penalties go begging after the break and they proved to be costly as Sinoti crossed over.

The visitors laid siege on Newcastle’s line in the final ten minutes but, willed on by the home support, the Falcons resisted bravely to record their third Aviva Premiership Rugby win in four games.

Gloucester were ahead within 30 seconds of the kick-off, Clegg’s clearance kick swiftly charged down by captain Matt Kvesic before Afoa dived on the ball and Billy Burns confidently added the extras.

In a frustrating couple of minutes for the Cherry & Whites, Charlie Sharples was forced off injured before Mark Atkinson was pinged for crossing, only for Clegg’s resulting effort to miss the target.

The Falcons fly-half soon made amends from the tee after ten minutes, getting his side off the mark, and they began to grow into the contest with the Newcastle pack enjoying some dominance.

That resulted in another penalty from the scrum and Clegg made it two from three with a tricky effort, reducing the deficit to just one point.

And they were ahead on 20 minutes after a similar pattern of events, Kvesic now receiving a talking to from referee Tim Wigglesworth after his pack conceded another penalty at the scrum and Clegg bisecting the posts from close range.

A Steve McColl break looked to offer Gloucester some respite but the young full-back sent a chip straight into touch, denying him the opportunity for a superb solo try.

It wasn’t until the final stages of the half that either side threatened to grab the game’s second try, Newcastle utilising their forward power to bear down on the visitors’ line but conceding a penalty for holding on when well placed.

Clegg took his points tally to 12 shortly after the restart, Gloucester again infringing at the breakdown and handing the fly-half an opportunity to extend the advantage.

And Sinoti made it worse just a couple of minutes later, Alesana Tuilagi and Ally Hogg both involved as Newcastle barrelled towards the line for the Samoan international to bundle over.

Clegg’s conversion was just wide, leaving the Cherry & Whites a ten-point gap to bridge before Burns sent a penalty narrowly under the crossbar.

But the fly-half was not deterred, linking well with replacement scrum-half Callum Braley, and the Falcons were soon called offside, Burns this time making no mistake from the tee to take his side within one score.

Shortly after the hour mark James Hudson suffered a double whammy, yellow carded for a late tackle which also saw him stay down injured and Clegg made it 20-10 with the resulting penalty.

Burns was handed the opportunity to bring Gloucester within seven again after Newcastle killed the ball but his effort bounced back off the post.

Bill Meakes took up the charge, bounding through a gap in the defence only to be called back for a forward pass as Gloucester’s advantage came to an end.

Next was the turn of a rumbling maul after Burns picked out the corner from a penalty but a turnover saw the Falcons escape once more.

And despite Andy Saull earning a yellow card four minutes from time for kicking the ball away, the hosts clung on to deny Gloucester even a losing bonus point.

This Christmas, Premiership Rugby is offering fans a special gift with selected tickets for the Aviva Premiership Rugby Final 2015. Click here to find out about this limited offer

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News