TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Wasps 47 Harlequins 18

02 Oct 2016
Match Report: Wasps 47 Harlequins 18

Kyle Eastmond grabbed his first try for the club as Wasps made it five wins from as many Aviva Premiership Rugby games with a 47-18 victory over Harlequins.

Harlequins had inflicted a first defeat of the season over Saracens last time out, but Wasps made sure lightning didn’t strike twice and had the bonus point banked before half-time.

And in the final quarter they added a touch of gloss to the scoreline as they finished with seven tries to go back to the top of the table.

After keeping the ball for full two minutes from the kick off, Jimmy Gopperth put a pinpoint kick into the corner and Wasps’ forwards drove hooker Ashley Johnson over for his third try of the season.

Both sides went wide at every opportunity in an entertaining opening quarter. A Christian Wade break sparked a promising Wasps attack which ended when his inside pass went to ground, after which Quins’ Mike Brown and Marland Yarde combined from a quick throw-in and only Josh Bassett’s vital interception prevented a score.

The visitors ended the first 20 minutes all square, after British & Irish Lion Jamie Roberts got on Yarde’s shoulder to force his way over.

Their scoreboard parity was short-lived, however, as Wasps recovered the kick off and Guy Thompson powered over from 25 metres for a try which Gopperth upgraded.

Tim Swiel kicked two 30 metre penalties for Quins, but they were split by a home try of the highest quality. Bassett recovered Gopperth’s precise grubber and when he found Elliot Daly steaming up in support, the centre’s flat pass sent Dan Robson to the posts for another converted score.

Daly soon followed his England colleague onto the scoreboard with another brilliant long-distance score. He took a flat pass and sped through Quins’ midfield untouched before going behind the posts from 40 metres to bank the try bonus point.

After Gopperth again converted, Quins grabbed a lifeline with their second try, touched down by No.8 James Chisholm after a long period of continuity and a neat loop move in midfield.

The third quarter was dominated by Harlequins, but despite being camped in the hosts’ half they were unable to claim a third try. Their driving lineout was well repelled by Dai Young’s men, and Rob Miller’s nearly-missed tackle did just enough to force Tim Visser into touch as the Scottish international sped to the corner.

Finally Wasps sparked back into life following a rash of replacements, and Sam Jones’ powerful break and some quick hands sent Wade into the corner for a converted score.

A sixth try, and Kyle Eastmond’s first since joining Wasps from Bath, soon followed. Hughes powered through midfield and when he was hauled down by a last-ditch tackle, Joe Simpson’s long pass allowed Eastmond to outpace the cover.

A set move from a scrum and a nice line from Daly then sent Bassett to the corner with five minutes remaining, and Gopperth again added the extras to wrap up the scoring.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing