TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Newcastle Falcons 13 London Irish 6

17 Apr 2016
Match Report: Newcastle Falcons 13 London Irish 6

Newcastle’s biggest attendance of the season to date saw them secure a vital victory over fellow Aviva Premiership Rugby strugglers London Irish.

In total, 7,756 fans were at Kingston Park and they were not disappointed as Marcus Watson’s try proved to be the difference between the two sides at the bottom of the table.

The result leaves Irish seven points adrift of the Falcons with two rounds of the Aviva Premiership season still to play.

For the Falcons, the win was their first in seven, having lost their previous six since beating Northampton Saints by a single point.

Newcastle’s Mike Delany dragged his first shot at goal of the afternoon wide of the upright allowing London Irish's Greig Tonks put the visitors in the lead after eight minutes with a successful 40m penalty from the left side.

Newcastle were level just three minutes later though. A big run from prop Taione Vea led to the penalty which Delany slotted over to make the score 3-3 after the opening 11 minutes.

Tonks restored Irish’s narrow lead with a second penalty but the Irish fly-half was at fault for the first try of the game as his looping pass failed to find an Irish team-mate and Watson collected to race away and score under the posts.

Delany added the extras as Newcastle took the lead for the first time in the game, 10-6.

The Falcons had an excellent opportunity to extend their lead when they had a five metre line-out but the throw from George McGuigan was not straight.

Newcastle continued to press with good territory and possession with McGuigan collecting an offload and storming into the 22 before being brought down.

The Irish defence was tested further all the way through to half time with Andrew Fenby producing an amazing try saving tackle when wing Alex Tait looked certain to score for Newcastle.

With the wing unable to get the ball down, Fenby was able to push Tait into touch and the visitors held on to get into half time at just 10-6 down.

Irish came out firing in the second half and could have taken the lead when Alex Lewington fended off a Newcastle challenge to set up wing Asaeli Tikoirotuma down the left.

But the substitute chose to try and optimistic pass back inside rather than racing for the corner and the Newcastle defence took their chance to snuff out the danger.

Newcastle stretched their lead with the first points of the second period when centre Juan Pablo Socino split the uprights to give the home side a seven point cushion at 13-6.

Irish thought they’d found a way back into the game just after the hour mark but the TMO decided against awarding the try following Geraghty’s chip into the corner.

Further pressure, possession and territory from London Irish failed to materialise into crucial points as Newcastle’s defence held firm to the final whistle.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News