TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Leicester Tigers 47 London Irish 20

28 Feb 2016
Match Report: Leicester Tigers 47 London Irish 20

Adam Thompstone grabbed a double as Leicester Tigers snapped their three-game losing run in Aviva Premiership Rugby with a seven-try mauling of London Irish on Sunday.

The Tigers moved back into the top four in the table with a comfortable win at Welford Road while Irish stay rooted to the foot of the standings.

Scores from Thompstone, Harry Thacker, Lachlan McCaffrey and Jono Kitto had wrapped up the bonus point before half time.

After the interval Tom Croft, Jean de Villiers – on his first start for the club – and Thompstone completed the rout although the Exiles did manage three second-half scores of their own through David Paice, Joe Trayfoot and Andy Fenby but it was too little too late.

The Exiles are still yet to take a single point from an away league game this season and the Tigers – who had not lost four in a row in the league since 2004 – made a fast start at Welford Road.

Freddie Burns had already twice kicked for the corner as the driving maul got a roll on and when the ball was spread right Mathew Tait fed Thompstone who scored.

Burns missed the extras and Theo Brophy-Clews did slot a penalty for the Exiles soon after to trim the lead but that was about as good as it got for Irish in a one-sided half.

The second try went to Thacker – promoted to start at hooker after Tom Youngs’ late withdrawal – as he collected Burns’ offload to score.

This time Burns found his range with the conversion and with a quarter of an hour played the home side were 12-3 up.

The Tigers pack clearly smelled blood and it was McCaffrey who got the third try, barging over from a lineout move after Kitto’s crisp pass.

And the fourth try and the bonus point were wrapped up before the break – Burns again to the fore as he stepped clear, fed Mike Fitzgerald who in turn offloaded to Kitto for his first Tigers try under the posts.

Irish held out for the first ten minutes of the second period but Tigers soon had their fifth score and it was superb hands that created it – Thacker’s slick offload, Tuilagi’s over-the-head pass and De Villiers’ scoop back inside releasing Croft to bash over.

Kitto was denied his second soon after by the TMO who spotted a forward pass and Irish finally summoned a response just before the hour mark – Paice smashing over from close range for their first try.

Shane Geraghty missed the conversion and Tigers did not let up at the other end, de Villiers cutting back against the grain to grab a try on his first Tigers start.

In the final ten minutes Thompstone dived over for his second of the afternoon, replacement Tommy Bell adding the extras for a 47-8 lead.

There was still time however, for Irish to grab two consolation scores before the final whistle as Trayfoot and Fenby both restored a bit of respect to the scoreline. 

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News