TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Bristol Rugby 7 Exeter Chiefs 35

05 Feb 2017
Match Report: Bristol Rugby 7 Exeter Chiefs 35

Exeter Chiefs eased to a 35-7 victory over Bristol Rugby at Ashton Gate to book their place in the semi-finals of the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Two penalty tries, as well as scores from Shaun Malton, Henry Slade and Max Bodilly ensured Rob Baxter’s side outclassed their south west neighbours and secured safe passage to the last four at the expense of the Ospreys who also won in Pool 2.

Exeter never looked in trouble and went into half-time with a 14-0 lead over their Aviva Premiership Rugby rivals through Malton and a penalty try.

Malton gave the Chiefs the lead after just five minutes, crossing after a driving lineout, with Joe Simmonds adding the extras.

The home side suffered a lack of discipline eight minutes before the break, with James Phillips and Marc Jones each receiving yellow cards within less than a minute of each other.

And Exeter took advantage of their superior numbers. Five minutes before half-time, Bristol were adjudged to have collapsed their scrum under pressure from the Chiefs, and referee Ian Davies awarded a penalty try, with Simmonds once again kicking the extra two points.

After the break, Damian Welch thought he had crossed to extend the Chiefs’ lead further, but referee Davies said he had been held up and did not award a try.

Bristol toiled for a way back into the game, but were dealt a hammer blow 15 minutes after half-time through England international Henry Slade.

The fly-half intercepted a pass and raced half the length of the field before crossing under the posts, with Simmonds doing the honours for his third conversion from three.

Bodilly secured a fourth try for the Chiefs ten minutes later, before it was Exeter’s turn to compete with a man down as they lost wing Olly Woodburn to the sin-bin.

Bristol used the extra man to finally break Exeter’s defensive line and salvage some pride. Prop Jamal Ford-Robinson crossed for the only score for the hosts eight minutes from time.

Callum Sheedy added the extras, but it proved to be just a consolation for Bristol, and the margin of defeat was to get even wider.

Chiefs were awarded their fifth score and second penalty try of the match just a minute from the end, when another scrum heading for the Bristol line was collapsed.

Simmonds slotted his fifth conversion to complete a solid kicking display from him.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing