TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Bristol Rugby 21 Wasps 36

16 Apr 2017
Match Report: Bristol Rugby 21 Wasps 36

Christian Wade scored on his 100th Aviva Premiership Rugby appearance as Wasps moved one step closer to a home semi-final with victory over Bristol Rugby at Ashton Gate.

Jason Woodward had given the hosts the lead, but four successive tries from the visitors means Bristol have been confirmed as finishing 12th in the Aviva Premiership Rugby campaign.

Josh Bassett and Tommy Taylor scored while Joe Simpson added another before half-time to give his side a 14-point lead.

Wade then scored his 16th try of the campaign while Guy Thompson added a fifth try for Wasps, needing just a handful more points to secure their place in the top two, though Jack O’Connell and Nick Fenton-Wells crossed for late consolations.

It didn’t always look as though that would be the case however, as Woodward profited from an interception to run in from 50 metres as Bristol had the lead with just three minutes on the clock.

The home side didn’t let up either as they kept pushing forward, though Wasps levelled up at 7-7 after good work from Kurtley Beale and Phil Swainston, though Bassett still had to muscle his way over the line.

They got a second just a few minutes later as Taylor rode on the back of a maul to be in the right place at the right time, profiting from a loose ball to dot down his side’s second of the afternoon.

Bristol showed their try-scoring ambitions as they elected to go for the corner from numerous attacks, with the game just not falling in their direction.

The visitors made the most of that as the half came to an end, with Jimmy Gopperth delaying the pass before he found a motoring Beale.

The centre still had lots to do though, beating two defenders prior to finding Simpson to show his nimble feet and touch down.

But with Woodward in the Bristol ranks they continued to look a threat, almost getting his second of the game before frantic Wasps defending maintained their 21-7 half-time advantage.

That was added to by Wade however, capitalising over on an overlap to sprint into the corner, securing the all-important bonus point for his side.

Still Bristol were not done attacking, but that proved costly as an opportunistic counter attack saw Matt Symons pick up a loose ball for Thompson to score.

Bassett was to get a deserved second of the afternoon too, as good work from replacement Alapati Leiua drew another two-on-one to leave the wing with a simple task to touch down.

But then the hosts’ attacking endeavour finally drew its reward as some superb work in the offload from Tusi Pisi fed Searle, who in turn helped O’Connell maraud through the Wasps defence for their second try of the afternoon, the score 14-36 heading into the closing ten minutes.

And there was still time for Bristol to end in a flourish, as a break from deep from Ryan Edwards saw him find Searle before Fenton-Wells went flying under the post for their third score.

Tickets to the Aviva Premiership Rugby Final is on 27 May at Twickenham are now on sale. If you want to have an unforgettable day out at club rugby’s best Cup Final then click here for tickets.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Sign up to our newsletter

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Premiership Rugby news, ticketing news, information, offers and exclusive competitions