TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

London Wasps 32 Worcester Warriors 16

28 Sep 2013
London Wasps 32 Worcester Warriors 16

It was the Worcester old boys who did the damage for London Wasps as Dai Young’s men ended an 11-game losing sequence to sink Dean Ryan’s Worcester Warriors.

In the battle of the basement boys; it was former Warriors Andy Goode and Matt Mullan who shone for Wasps as the home side erased an unwanted losing run in all competitions.

England wing Christian Wade, prop Jake Cooper-Woolley and Guy Thompson also went over for London Wasps as Worcester’s atrocious form on the road continued.

The early play was dominated by the boot as the two fly-halves, Goode for Wasps and Worcester’s Ignacio Mieres, traded penalties in a tight and cagey opening.

Goode, playing against Worcester for the first time since leaving Sixways in the summer, twice put Wasps in front with routine penalties inside the first 10 minutes.

Argentine Mieres matched his opposite number on each occasion with kicks of his own before slotting over for a third time to give the visitors the lead on 17 minutes.

The 26-year-old is in his first season at Worcester after three years racking up 395 points with Exeter and he was a calming influence on the visitors until he was he was injured and replaced by Danny Gray after 36 minutes.

As the half wore on the home side began to grow in confidence and finally broke over the Worcester try-line on 31 minutes.

Former Warrior Mullan, who moved to London to help progress his international career with England, barged over from five metres out after a lightning break down the left wing from Josh Bassett.

Just two minutes later Mieres was unable to capitalise on Goode’s missed conversion after edging a touch-line penalty wide of the post.

The Warriors fly-half was in the thick of the action but his afternoon took a turn for the worse as he went off for concussion as the game ticked towards the interval.

The Warriors have not won away from home in the Aviva Premiership since they visited Adams Park on New Year’s Day 2012 and beat their hosts 6-0, and their quest to overturn that unwanted statistic got worse on 43 minutes as England hopeful Wade scored an opportunist try for London Wasps – though Goode missed his kick at goal.

And Worcester’s chances of leaving Adams Park with a win were effectively ended just minutes later as Cooper-Woolley burrowed over from close range, capitalising on a powerful break from Ashley Johnson – again Goode missed to leave the score at 21-9.

Ryan’s side continued to make basic errors and very nearly conceded again just minutes later as Goode and his forward pack were held up just short of the line after a period of sustained Wasps pressure.

Worcester, who slumped to their ninth straight Aviva Premiership loss, fell further behind just before the hour as Goode slotted a penalty to make the score 24-9.

Worcester have also failed to score a try at Saturday’s venue since Sam Tuitupou’s effort in September 2008 but that statistic changed on 64 minutes as Josh Drauniniu scored and Gray converted the effort.

A yellow card for Chris Brooker on 67 minutes effectively ended the Worcester fightback and Wasps took full advantage of their numerical advantage.

Thompson secured the London Wasps try bonus point on 68 minutes but again Goode missed his kick at goal to extend the home team’s advantage to 29-16.

Another former Warrior, Joe Carlisle on for Goode, extended London Wasps’ lead to 32-16 with eight minutes remaining as Worcester all but waved the white flag.

For more news, try out Match Report