TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

London Wasps 28 Worcester Warriors 19

18 Nov 2012
London Wasps 28 Worcester Warriors 19

Charlie Davies’ late score made sure of victory as London Wasps picked up their first LV= Cup win of the season after defeating Worcester Warriors 28-19 at Adams Park.

Wasps prop Simon McIntyre went over with five minutes gone after the Warriors lost their own lineout ball with Tommy Bell making no mistake with his conversion.

The first half exploded into life with 15 minutes remaining, Wasps scrum-half Jonah Holmes sin-binned for dissent before Alex Grove and Andy Short crossed for the visitors with Joe Carlisle converting at the second attempt.

But Wasps struck back through two Bell penalties for a 13-12 lead at the break, before he added another soon after the restart.

Jack Wallace then crossed in the corner with Bell adding the extras for an 11-point lead but Ben Howard touched down to give the Warriors hope with ten minutes remaining.

That hope was short-lived with replacement Davies going over a minute later for 28-19, and the Warriors failed to find another try for two bonus points.

The Warriors made yet another poor start with Hugo Southwell launching the ball into touch on the Warriors’ 22 before the visitors lost the ball at their lineout only for McIntyre to charge over for the opening try.

Bell added the extras to give Wasps a 7-0 lead and two minutes later Carlisle fluffed his chance to reduce the deficit to four points by drifting his effort wide of the posts after McIntyre was penalised for dropping his bind at a scrum.

With a quarter of an hour remaining in the opening period, Holmes was sin-binned for voicing his disapproval to referee Rhys Thomas after his side were hit for sealing off when Jon Clarke chased his own kick in behind.

The man advantage soon paid off for the visitors with Worcester winning the lineout before Grove crashed over by the posts having run a great line onto Carlisle’s inside pass, though Carlisle missed a simple conversion.

But the Warriors were soon in front at the half-hour mark Errie Claassens sending Short over in the corner.

Carlisle made no mistake this time with the conversion for 12-7, though Wasps immediately pulled three points back through Bell after the Warriors were penalised at the restart.

Right on the stroke of half time Wasps edged themselves back in front with another penalty from Bell making it 13-12 after Dean Schofield was admonished for not releasing players in the tackle.

Bell registered the first points of the second half five minutes in with a successful penalty from just outside the Warriors’ 22 to increase Wasps’ lead to four points.

The hosts got their second try with Wallace brushing off Howard to slide over in the corner after good work from Varndell from a quick lineout.

Another excellent kick from Bell gave Wasps a 23-12 lead but the Warriors got back into it after Andy Goode showed quick hands to flip the ball to Howard who dived over in the corner with Carlisle converting from the touchline to make it 23-19.

But immediately from the restart Wasps re-established their nine-point lead with Goode giving away possession after trying to chip the ball out of defence with Wasps spinning it wide for replacement Davies to score.

Replacement fly-half Lee Thomas failed to convert but the Warriors could find no answer and it finished 28-19.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News