TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Harlequins 52 London Welsh 0

04 Oct 2014
Harlequins 52 London Welsh 0

Harlequins returned to winning ways as Marland Yarde grabbed his first two Aviva Premiership Rugby tries for the club in a bonus-point shut-out of London Welsh.

The table read won two, lost two after a topsy-turvy start to the season for Conor O’Shea’s men but this result was to be emphatic.

Mike Brown and Danny Care crossed inside the first quarter of an hour as Quins scored 17 points without reply before half time.

And the Exiles, who slump to their fifth successive Aviva Premiership Rugby defeat, were made to suffer further as Yarde and Matt Hopper added their own names to the scoresheet.

With the bonus point tied up, more Quins points were piled on through a penalty try, Karl Dickson and Yarde again.

There was a real urgency to Harlequins’ play in the opening minutes of their clash against an Exiles side seeking to recover from their own faltering start to the season.

And this was rewarded when a move involving Care and Tom Casson allowed Brown to sweep through for a try inside the first three minutes – the full-back’s 50th Aviva Premiership Rugby score. Nick Evans, returning to the side after injury, was on cue for the conversion.

It didn’t take long for Care to score the Quins’ second on 12 minutes after Asaeli Tikoirotuma ran through the middle untouched before playing through a simple offload. An Evans conversion made it 14-0 and the Kiwi would be on target with all seven conversions before the end.

The Exiles were struggling to cut out the errors that have blighted their start to the campaign and conceded a penalty after Brown was tackled without the ball whilst attempting a chip and chase.

Evans was on hand to boot through and with the pressure still mounting, the Exiles managed to turn the ball over on successive occasions to Charlie Matthews and then Evans in promising areas.

Justin Burnell’s troops stayed stout to see out the half without conceding any further scores but any hope was to be short-lived after Yarde ensured Quins came flying out of the blocks.

The typically impressive Brown broke through the Welsh line before slipping through Yarde, who raced over the whitewash – and Hopper swiftly followed that up for the bonus-point try.

Soon after, Tikoirotuma almost broke away on the left wing but referee Dean Richards called play back for a forward pass.

With the game approaching its final 15 minutes, a penalty try was awarded after Dickson was taken down through a dangerous tackle by Seb Stegmann, who was promptly sin binned.

Dickson then crossed the try-line himself before Yarde rounded off the afternoon for Quins in exactly the same vein as they started, crossing for his side’s seventh try after clever work from Ollie Lindsay-Hague.

For more news, try out Match Report