TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Harlequins 40 London Welsh 3

07 Sep 2012
Harlequins 40 London Welsh 3

Two tries apiece from Ugo Monye and George Robson sent reigning Aviva Premiership champions Harlequins on their way to a thumping 40-3 win over London Welsh.

After their pulsating comeback success over Wasps at Twickenham last weekend, Conor O’Shea will have demanded that his troops be much less generous in defence and they rewarded him with an improved performance against an overwhelmed Exiles side.

It took the home side just four minutes to open the scoring at the Stoop as Robson powered his way over, Nick Evans converting for an early 7-0 lead.

Quins could have scored even earlier after a great offload from George Lowe to Jordan Turner-Hall caused danger. O’Shea’s troops were clearly in the mood and the second try quickly followed Robson’s effort as the Exiles failed to deal with a bombardment of attacks.

The ball was spread wide to Monye on the left and, with Welsh’s defence failing to get across, he notched up his first try of the campaign.

The visitors’ lack of discipline was letting them down as they conceded five penalties in the first quarter of an hour but it was after some good work from Hudson Tonga’uiha and Tom Arscott that they earned their first points – a penalty from the boot of Gordon Ross.

A superb run through the middle from the full-back saw him evade several tackles, and eventually Welsh were rewarded when Quins were penalised for being offside.

Unfortunately this proved a temporary respite as Monye got his second – this time on the right – to stretch the lead to 21-3 at the break.

Welsh made a nightmare start to the second half when Paulica Ion was sent to the bin and while the Exiles survived the next ten minutes, Robson went over for his second after collecting scrum-half Karl Dickson’s offload – Evans converting his fourth of the night.

That secured a second try bonus of the campaign for the champions and things got even worse for Welsh on the hour mark as Lowe finished off some good work by Mike Brown.

The England full-back surged down the left and although he was stopped, Lowe went over, Evans’ conversion making it 35-3.

Ben Botica replaced his fellow Kiwi and made his mark on debut with a first try for the club.

It came as Arscott was sin binned for a dangerous tackle on Monye, and with some quick-thinking the fly-half darted over.

He missed the conversion but it will be of little worry to O’Shea, whose side now lie top of the Aviva Premiership – a spot they know well having spent the majority of last season there before claiming a first title at Twickenham in May.

For Welsh the loss represents a second in as many weeks, but having now taken on both of last year’s finalists they will be able to prepare for the visit of Exeter to Oxford next weekend.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News