TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Harlequins 21 Bath Rugby 23

31 Jan 2015
Harlequins 21 Bath Rugby 23

A late Rory Jennings penalty completed a Bath Rugby fight back and gave them their second LV=Cup win of the season over Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop.

It looked like it would be plain sailing for the visitors who came flying out of the blocks and raced to a 10-0 lead inside the opening ten minutes.

But tries from Tom Williams and Charlie Walker halted the Bath stampede and gave Harlequins control of the match.

However, after Mark Lambert saw yellow with ten minutes remaining, Bath capitalised and Jennings' kick sealed the victory.

The Stoop didn’t have wait long to see the opening score of the day with Bath winning a penalty at the first scrum and Will Homer left with a simple kick for 3-0.

They extended their lead moments later as Matt Banahan cut through the inside of the Quins defence after a nice offload from Max Clark – Homer converting.

It was a great start from the visitors and Quins were struggling to break out of their own half as Olly Woodburn threatened again but his side were penalised for tackling without the ball.

A penalty after 15 minutes finally gave Quins the chance get out of their own territory and the resultant line out gave them their first chance to really test the Bath defence.

But Bath looked totally dominant in the scrum and the home side couldn’t do anything to respond the power the visitors were producing.

It had been one-way traffic but Quins finally had a good spell of possession inside the Bath 22 in the 24th minute.

And Tom Williams made it count when he found himself with space on the right and dived over to get his side back in it – Nick Evans converting from the touchline. Despite Bath’s dominance, Evans’ boot drew Quins level after 28 minutes when Kane Palma-Newport was penalised for not rolling away.

And Quins had the lead not long after when Bath were penalised at a lineout, and the home side shifted the ball from right to left before Karl Dickson found Charlie Walker who crashed over.

Evans saw his conversion hit the uprights before Bath pulled themselves within two thanks to a simple Homer penalty to make it 15-13 heading into the break.

While it was Bath who started the first period with a penalty it was Quins’ turn after the restart with Evans extending his side’s lead to six.

Homer had the chance to move his side back within three in the 45th minute but his long kick was sliced well wide of the posts.

Bath’s early dominance seemed to have faded and, while neither side was imposing themselves on proceedings, Quins’ lead looked comfortable.

The visitors were looking frustrated and, with 20 minutes left, Evans was gifted an easy penalty in front of the posts to make it 21-13.

Evans could have given his team an 11-point lead after 63 minutes but this time his kick was off target.

Bath looked to break immediately as Tom Ellis found some space on the left and ate up the ground to break into the Quins 22 – his side eventually winning a scrum in front of the posts.

The Bath scrum once again looked dominant and they were awarded a penalty try on 68 minutes with Homer’s kick making it a one-point game and Lambert seeing yellow.

With five minutes remaining Ollie Lindsay-Hague showed lightening pace to break away but a sloppy pass saw Bath take possession before they gifted the ball back Quins.

It was proving to be a breathtaking finish as Banahan then found space on the right and worked the ball inside and Quins were penalised for an offside from a knock on – Jennings giving his side a late victory. 

Tickets for this year's LV= Cup Final on 22 March at Franklin's Gardens are now on sale. Click here to snap one up from just £20 for adults, £10 for juniors to see who will win the first silverware of the season.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News