TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Gloucester rally to see off Irish

31 Jan 2009
Gloucester rally to see off Irish

Gloucester staged an astounding fightback to replace London Irish as Guinness Premiership leaders following a Kingsholm thriller.

Wing Iain Balshaw’s 50th Premiership career try seven minutes from the end completed Gloucester’s recovery act after they trailed 18-3 just before half-time.

Fly-half Olly Barkley kept Gloucester in the hunt by booting six penalties from seven attempts – but Irish imploded.

Early tries by wings Adam Thompstone and Topsy Ojo put Irish in charge as they looked to consolidate their place at the Premiership summit.

But Gloucester, low on confidence after crashing out of Europe early and lacking a victory in any competition since January 3, ultimately produced one of the Premiership’s great recovery acts.

And they now lead the table by a point from Irish, whose losing bonus was scant consolation from a game they dominated for so long.

Gloucester, reeling from their Heineken Cup pool stage exit in Biarritz last week, handed a full Premiership debut to 19-year-old student Henry Trinder in midfield.

Barkley, meanwhile, replaced fly-half Ryan Lamb and Wales international number eight Gareth Delve began his comeback from a serious knee injury suffered on Test duty in South Africa seven months ago.

Hooker Olivier Azam captained Gloucester for the first time, with Mike Tindall and Luke Narraway both on England duty, but Irish included full-back Delon Armitage and lock Nick Kennedy.

Armitage and Kennedy, both fit again following recent injuries, were released from England’s pre-RBS 6 Nations training camp in Portugal three days ago to gain match practice ahead of the tournament.

Gloucester, who were thumped 42-12 by Irish just before Christmas, dominated early territory before falling behind to a short-range Hewat penalty after seven minutes.

And the visitors rapidly extended their lead, moving 10-0 ahead when Thompstone profited from weak challenges by Gloucester flankers Apo Satala and Alasdair Strokosch to claim a try that Hewat converted.

Gloucester had never suffered four successive defeats during head coach Ryan’s tenure, but they were in grave danger of reaching that low with more than an hour remaining.

Armitage, watched from the stands by England manager Martin Johnson, then inflicted further grief on Gloucester by delivering a scoring pass to Ojo after Irish ripped apart the home side’s defence.

And Gloucester, to a degree, only had themselves to blame because Irish’s attacking platform was built after Azam showed poor leadership by conceding a penalty on halfway for an attempted trip.

Hewat booted the resulting penalty 40 metres into touch, and after an injection of power from Thompstone, Armitage’s sweet feint and pass made Ojo’s job easy.

Hewat added the extras, and although Barkley landed a penalty 11 minutes before half-time, Irish were good value for their 15-3 advantage.

Barkley and Hewat exchanged further penalties, before Armitage was left limping after a hefty collision and another Barkley strike narrowed Gloucester’s deficit to nine points at half-time.

But they suffered a major injury blow within 10 minutes of the restart when substitute scrum-half Dave Lewis was carried off.

Lewis, who had only been on the pitch for three minutes after replacing Rory Lawson, required oxygen before he was stretchered away suffering from what appeared to be a serious ankle injury.

Lamb appeared off the bench to take an unfamiliar number nine role, and Irish immediately extended their lead.

Hewat had the vision to launch a thrilling counter-attack from behind his own line, and when the move broke down 70 metres upfield, referee Dave Pearson sin-binned Gloucester centre Anthony Allen for killing possession.

Hewat kicked the penalty, leaving Gloucester entering the final quarter 12 points adrift and showing no obvious sign of denting Irish’s superiority.

Barkley though, had other ideas, slotting two penalties in three minutes – the second following a reckless challenge by Irish number eight Chris Hala’Ufia on Azam – and Irish were suddenly breathing a little less easily.

Irish continued searching for the self-destruct button, allowing Barkley a sixth successful penalty when centre Seilala Mapusua was yellow-carded for a technical offence, and after appearing in complete control, the Exiles had inexplicably lost their way.

Irish were rocking, and it needed a stunning cover tackle by scrum-half Paul Hodgson on Balshaw to prevent the west country club from going in front for the first time.

But Gloucester’s passion and commitment could not be extinguished, and Balshaw sealed the deal to complete a spectacular triumph.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News