TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Exeter Chiefs 47 London Welsh 16

23 Feb 2013
Exeter Chiefs 47 London Welsh 16

Exeter Chiefs picked up their first Aviva Premiership win since November as they steamrollered their way past London Welsh 47-16.

Rob Baxter’s side have found life tough in recent weeks in the league, losing their last three to Saracens, Sale Sharks and Northampton Saints.

But after a tight first half hour, they cut loose with first Premiership tries for Jack Yeandle, Damian Welch and Jack Nowell while Tom Hayes and Sireli Naqelevuki chipped in with the others.

The Exiles in response managed a try from Phil Mackenzie, as well as some accurate kicking from Gavin Henson, but they faded in the second half.

Henson gave Welsh the perfect start with a penalty after just two minutes, only for Gareth Steenson to respond in kind.

The Chiefs fly-half was outstanding from the kicking tee, finishing with 22 points as he kicked nine from nine.

Steenson and Henson traded another couple of penalties as the sides worked each other out with the sides level at 9-9 midway through the first half.

Another three from Steenson put Exeter back in front, and on the half hour Yeandle pounced.

The Crediton-born prop, who arrived from Doncaster this summer, was making his first Premiership appearance and he took advantage of a good driving maul from a lineout.

Australian international Dean Mumm claimed the ball initially, and after a series of bursts it was Yeandle who went over.

That was it for the scoring in the first half, but it was a completely different story after the break with Hayes starting the deluge of tries after just three minutes.

The Chiefs skipper took advantage of some good initial work on the right from Sireli Naqelevuki with the ball then spread wide by James Scaysbrook, allowing the Irishman to power over.

Trailing 26-9, Welsh looked in big trouble, but they responded immediately when they turned over Exeter ball at a scrum and the ball went out to Canadian international Mackenzie to score in the corner.

Henson nailed a tough conversion, to bring his team back to within ten but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

On 50 minutes it was Welch who got onto the scoresheet when he collected the ball to stroll over with the Exiles defence stretched.

Steenson conversion made it 33-16, and that lead increased further when Naqelevuki went over.

There was still time for Nowell, the Chiefs’ young winger, to grab his first Premiership score, showing his pace as he sprinted over from 25 metres out.

For more news, try out Exeter Chiefs London Welsh Match Report