TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Cardiff Blues 9 Leicester Tigers 43

07 Feb 2015
Cardiff Blues 9 Leicester Tigers 43

Fraser Balmain and Niall Morris crossed the whitewash within two minutes of each other to set Leicester Tigers on their way to the LV= Cup semi-finals with a convincing victory over Cardiff Blues.

A strong start from the Blues at BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park saw them take a 9-0 lead thanks to the boot of Gareth Davies.

But Balmain and Morris dotted down shortly before the break to kick-start their side’s dominance as they went on to score 43 unanswered points.

Second-half tries from David Mele and Tommy Bell and two for Adam Thompstone sealed the bonus point for the Tigers who secured a home draw for their semi-final.

Leicester tested the home side early when Jack Roberts showed scintillating pace to break into the Cardiff half and up to the Blues’ 22.

However, after being penalised at the breakdown the Blues took charge and picked up a penalty that Davies easily kicked over for a 3-0 lead.

Both sides were showing their attacking intent early and the game swayed back and forth until Joaquin Tuculet tried for a drop goal which flew wide, however the Blues had already secured the penalty and Davies slotted over after 15 minutes.

The Tigers had a game on their hands and, shortly after, Davies was at it again after some impressive work from the home pack and the fly-half coolly kicked for another three.

Leicester needed a response and they got one from the boot of Owen Williams who got his side on the board with a penalty after 23 minutes.

The Tigers defence was getting a good workout with the Blues pushing for the first try of the afternoon and the visitors’ penalty count slowly mounting.

Cardiff were beginning to dominate but Leicester showed their fighting spirit after 37 minutes when Balmain crashed over to score his first try for Leicester – Williams adding the extras.

And they had their second try two minutes later after a quick ball from Williams found Bell who fed Morris to jog over and give his side a 15-9 lead at the break.

The Blues started the second period without the same bite as the first and were giving the ball away far too cheaply as Bell looked to break early and the Tigers probed for another score.

They were two metres from the whitewash within the opening ten minutes of the half and Mele broke free and theatrically dived across the line for his side’s third try and Williams made no mistake with the extras.

Leicester were pushing for the bonus point as the home side looked to be wilting and showed no signs of repeating the heroics they showed in their comeback against Wasps last week.

And the Tigers had the fourth try after 64 minutes when Roberts made the space for Bell to come through and score and Williams once again converted.

The second-half was being almost exclusively played in the Blues half and the Tigers had a further reward for that dominance when Thompstone helped himself to a try and Bell kicked the extras.

And the home crowd had to watch on as the Tigers added insult to injury with Thompstone picking up his second try of the day and Bell’s kick making it 43-9.

Tickets for this year's LV= Cup Final on 22 March at Franklin's Gardens are now on sale. Click here to snap one up from just £20 for adults, £10 for juniors to see who will win the first silverware of the season.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News