TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Bath Rugby 53 London Welsh 26

13 Sep 2014
Bath Rugby 53 London Welsh 26

Semesa Rokoduguni and Jonathan Joseph helped themselves to try doubles as Bath Rugby made it two wins from two this Aviva Premiership Rugby season, with victory over London Welsh at The Rec.

Bath once again got off to a fast start as Chris Cook touched down moments after kick-off, and further tries from Leroy Houston, Carl Fearns and one in each half for both Rokoduguni and Joseph saw Bath pick up all five points as they ran in seven tries in their first home game of the campaign.

However London Welsh gave a good account of themselves and not only put points on the scoreboard for the first time this season, but also picked up their first point of the campaign as Peter Browne, Seb Stegmann, Seb Jewell and Lachlan McCaffrey all crossed the whitewash.

Bath scored inside a minute in their Aviva Premiership Rugby opener, and while they had to wait a little bit longer against London Welsh they still got off to a fast start.

Fearns broke up the right before offloading to Kyle Eastmond. He beat two tackles but was stopped just short of the tryline by Nick Scott, however Cook was there to snaffle the ball and finishes the job for a try on his first Aviva Premiership Rugby start. George Ford added the extras for an early 7-0 lead.

However, the visitors hit back inside two minutes as they exploited an overlap on the left with second row Browne outmuscling Rokoduguni to dot down. Olly Barkley converted to level the scores.

The fast pace continued as Bath nudged themselves back in front when George Ford nailed a penalty in front of the sticks.

Bath then started to dominate the play and deservedly scored their second try midway through the half as after their initial skirmishes towards the line were blunted, Ford slipped his man to send winger Rokoduguni into the corner. Fly-half Ford landed the tough conversion from out wide for a 17-7 lead.

Barkley attempted to reduce the arrears five minutes later but his penalty attempt – from inside the Bath half – failed to trouble the uprights.

Bath continued to control the match and helped themselves to a third try as Joseph sent a grubber kick between Stegmann and Nathan Vella and dashed through to touch down, Ford again converting.

But London Welsh were not about to lie down and hit back with a try of their own as Stegmann wriggled free of a Luke Arscott tackle to muscle his way over the tryline.

Barkley converted to bring the visitors to within ten points of their hosts but Ford added a penalty on the stroke of half-time to give Bath some more breathing space.

Bath didn’t have to wait long for their fourth bonus point try, Stuart Hooper claiming a lineout and No.8 Houston touching down after a powerful driving maul. Ford converted for a 34-14 lead.

However London Welsh still refused to lie down and after a good break from Stegmann, full-back Jewell raced through a gap to touch down, Barkley adding the extras.

Bath responded with another score of their own as a loose pass from McCaffrey was intercepted by Rokoduguni and he raced away for the easiest of scores, Ford again with the extras.

London Welsh continued to threaten though and they too grabbed a fourth try bonus point as McCaffrey pounced on an overthrown Tom Dunn lineout to score, this time Barkley missing the conversion.

But Bath had the last laugh as Ford sent Joseph through the narrowest of gaps for his second try before Peter Stringer sent Fearns clear following a quick tap penalty.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News