When Bath Rugby take on age-old rivals Leicester Tigers in the final Aviva Premiership game of their 150th season at the Recreation Ground on Saturday 7th May, they will run out in a limited edition charity shirt to raise money for Bath Rugby Foundation and Help for Heroes.
Following the game, each player in the matchday squad will sign his shirt, and they will then be auctioned off in a variety of ways.
The shirt, designed by Canterbury of New Zealand Ltd, Official Apparel Partner of Bath Rugby, was inspired by eight key words chosen by two supporters who won the Win Big competition run by the Club in December.
"Courage", "Community", "Bravery", "Family", "Inspirational", "Strength", "Humbling" and "Achieve" were chosen by Simon Hurley and Beth Pullen as the words that epitomised how they felt about the Club, Bath Rugby Foundation and Help for Heroes, and are featured within the design of the shirt.
All money raised will be split equally between Bath Rugby Foundation and Help for Heroes. There is a natural affinity between the two charities, as both aim to support people at vulnerable and difficult stages of their life, and enhance their health and wellbeing.
Simon Halliday, Patron of Help for Heroes and former Bath and England player said: "We were delighted to become Bath Rugby’s National Charity Partner, and are honoured to have such prominence on a jersey being worn by the players. Rugby and the Armed Forces have always enjoyed a close relationship, and this is another instance where the two are combining to raise much-needed funds to help our Servicemen who have been injured in the line of duty to rebuild their lives."
Comedian Russell Howard, Ambassador for Bath Rugby Foundation, added: "Some of my fondest memories are heading to the Rec with my dad to watch Bath Rugby. The charity shirt is a great opportunity for the Club to give back, and the two charities do fantastic work to support people who have hit a difficult stage in their life. I’m very happy to be here as an ambassador of Bath Rugby Foundation and hope the shirts raise lots of money for a very worthy cause."
Supporters can have a chance to own one of these unique
shirts in the following ways:
- At the game itself, six shirts will be raffled and auctioned at the Rec in the Swift Half, Ricoh Suite, the Pavilion.
- The Foundation Shirt Raffle will give supporters a chance to win one of two shirts – tickets are just £1 to enter, and available around the ground on the day.
- Raffle tickets will be sold in the Bath Rugby Shop and at Brogue Traders in Bath – tickets are just £1 each and two winners will be drawn.
- Season Ticket Holders can enter a sealed bid to get their hands on one of four of the exclusive shirts, either in the Bath Rugby Ticket Office, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Four shirts will also be put on eBay, with supporters able to bid on them wherever they may be based in the world.