TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match report: Scarlets 18 Sale Sharks 45

02 Feb 2018
Match report: Scarlets 18 Sale Sharks 45

The returning Josh Strauss was among the scorers as Sale Sharks brought the curtain down on their Anglo-Welsh Cup campaign for the season with a seven-try showing at the Scarlets.

With Harlequins already six points ahead at kick-off, Steve Diamond’s troops were unable to progress from Pool Two, but they at least claimed a comfortable victory in their final cup encounter of the season.

The Sharks suffered an early setback when the hosts capitalised on some indecision to force Jac Prince over in the corner.

But with 12 minutes on the clock, parity was restored as Will Cliff burst into life from the back of the scrum and teed up Josh Charnley for the visitors’ first try of the game.

Sale then took full control of the contest with two further scores in the space of two minutes.

First, Rob Webber burst over the line under the posts and then Ben Curry got in on the act, Will Cliff converting twice to make it 19-5.

Two penalties from Jack Maynard, the second coming just before the half-hour mark, saw the Dragons ensure that the Sharks wouldn’t run away with things, and shortly before the break, the hosts all-but eliminated the deficit.

Back in possession, the Welsh side set off on the charge down the flank and forced Lee Rees over in the corner, Maynard adding the extras to make it 19-18.

Seven minutes into the second period, Sale quickly got themselves back on track as Cameron Redpath burst into life and offloaded for Cliff to bustle over before converting his own kick.

Then, in the blink of an eye, the visitors passed the 30-point barrier, Reed getting on the end of a chip through the Scarlets defence to score, Cliff converting with his final action of the game before being replaced by Faf de Klerk.

The Sharks would be forced to play the final 22 minutes with 14 men after de Klerk was shown two quickfire yellow cards but with 11 minutes to go, Josh Strauss, back from injury, went over to widen to gap, Redpath converting.

And to round things off, Curtis Langdon got in on the act late on to bag his team’s seventh try of the game.

This year’s Anglo-Welsh Cup Final will be at the iconic Kingsholm Stadium, home of Gloucester Rugby, on Sunday 18 March. To buy tickets and be part of an unforgettable occasion click here

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing