TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Saracens 57 Wasps 33

19 May 2018
Match Report: Saracens 57 Wasps 33

Saracens booked their place in the Aviva Premiership Rugby final in style as they held off a Wasps fightback to earn a 57-33 victory at Allianz Park.

The three-time champions were quick out of the blocks with early tries from Alex Lozowski and Vincent Koch, while Owen Farrell’s boot helped them lead 23-5 at half-time.

Chris Wyles added another after the break, but Wasps roared back thanks to tries from Jake Cooper-Woolley, Thomas Young and Willie le Roux, who had also crossed in the first half.

Juan Figallo’s effort just after the hour effectively wrapped it up, and there was still time for more tries from Maro Itoje and Ben Spencer for Saracens, as well as Christian Wade for Wasps.

Saracens made a blistering start with Farrell slicing through the Wasps defence before finding Lozowski inside him for the opening try.

They almost had another soon after through Jackson Wray, but a knock-on from Itoje in the build-up saw that one chalked off. It was temporary respite though as Koch forced his way over from close range, with Farrell’s conversion making it 14-0.

Wasps thought they had hit straight back, but Jimmy Gopperth had an arm in touch just before he dotted down Elliot Daly’s grubber through.

Two more Farrell penalties made it 20-0, with Saracens in complete control, but Wasps finally found a way through as Juan de Jongh got away down the right before finding Le Roux inside for the score.

Farrell added a further penalty to make it 23-5 at half-time as Saracens’ dominant forward effort, led by the outstanding Mako Vunipola, overwhelmed their visitors.

If Wasps were going to come back, they needed the first score in the second half, but instead it was Saracens who scored try number three. Again the forwards set the platform and then the ball was spread to the left allowing Wyles to go over in the corner.

Daly was denied a sensational finish when he dotted down against the corner flag, but Wasps had their second try soon after through Cooper-Woolley.

The comeback was really on two minutes later as Wade found Young on his shoulder and he raced away, with Gopperth’s conversion making it 30-19.

Saracens’ pack was still on top though earning two more penalties which Farrell duly slotted.

Wasps responded again, Le Roux crossing in the corner after Guy Thompson’s break, but that score was cancelled out by Saracens replacement Figallo.

Itoje’s effort stretched the lead further, but Wasps went over again through Wade, scoring their fifth of the afternoon in a losing effort.

And there was still time for one final try from Spencer to take the overall points tally to 90 points, a record in an Aviva Premiership Rugby semi-final.

Get your tickets to the Aviva Premiership Rugby Final by clicking here.

Sign up to our newsletter

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Premiership Rugby news, ticketing news, information, offers and exclusive competitions