TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Newcastle Falcons 35-30 Sale Sharks

13 Apr 2018
Match Report: Newcastle Falcons 35-30 Sale Sharks

Rob Vickers scored a last-minute try to rescue Newcastle Falcons after they had surrendered a 25-point lead to Sale Sharks at Kingston Park.

Callum Green, Gary Graham, Simon Hammersley and Scott Lawson all went over inside the opening half hour as the Falcons secured the try bonus point.

But Ben Curry and Marland Yarde tries brought the Sharks back into the game at half-time with the former England winger adding a second after the break.

The Sharks’ third try made it 25-25 with MacGinty pushing Sale ahead only for Vickers to keep Falcons’ semi-final hopes alive and secure a 35-30 win.

After an early Hodgson penalty, Green stole a Sharks line-out to put his side on the attack and, a few phases later, Sinoti Sinoti created space for the second row to score his first Newcastle try.

And the hosts extended their advantage on 15 minutes as a length of the field move which saw Will Welch brought down just shy of the line only for Graham to pick and dive over.

Hammersley continued the Falcons momentum with his own try as powerful handoff kept Paolo Odogwu at bay and allowed the full-back to make it 20-0.

Despite seeing Welch sent to the sin bin, the hosts had their bonus-point score inside half an hour as Hammersley was brought down only for Lawson to drive over from close range.

The Sharks got themselves onto the board through Curry as the flanker seized upon a loose ball, after Luke James had been on the crash ball from a line-out, to dot down.

And prior to the break, the Sharks had a second score with Yarde finding a whole in the Falcons defence to power through and reduce the deficit to 25-14.

Two MacGinty penalties saw the Sharks continue to work their way back into the game before Yarde’s second try of the evening completed a stunning comeback.

Brothers Luke and Sam James combined to get behind the Falcons’ defence before offloading to Yarde who dotted down and MacGinty’s conversion saw the visitors lead 27-25.

Hodgson slotted a long-range penalty on 70 minutes to restore the Falcons advantage over for his American opposite number MacGinty to make it 30-27 to the Sharks.

But Falcons worked their way into the Sharks 22 for just the second time in the second 40 in the final minutes and Rob Vickers bundled his way over from close range to seal the win.