TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Gloucester Rugby 20 Newcastle Rugby 21

03 Mar 2018
Match Report: Gloucester Rugby 20 Newcastle Rugby 21

Newcastle Falcons saw off a late Gloucester comeback to end the hosts’ unbeaten home record with their sixth win on the road in Aviva Premiership Rugby.

Tries from Alley Hogg and Michael Young were enough to see off the Cherry and Whites, who witnessed their first defeat of the season at Kingsholm.

Gloucester threw everything at Falcons, with scores from Jason Woodward, David Halaifonua, Mark Atkinson and a 77th minute try from Lewis Ludlow to secure the bonus-point loss.

But Billy Twelvetrees failed to convert the final try, leaving the hosts a point short of a dramatic victory.

Joel Hodgson opened the scoring with a penalty after two minutes, but the hosts responded through full-back Woodward, who put an inch-perfect grubber kick down the left touchline to run onto and score.

Gloucester piled on the pressure but Falcons took the lead against the run of play, as Young wriggled free of his tackler and slipped through the defence to offload to an oncoming Hogg for their first try.

Hodgson slotted two more penalties before half time to send Falcons eleven points up at the break.

Johan Ackermann’s men came out with a point to prove in the second half and after some powerful bursts from Jake Polledri, Woodward made space for Halaifonua down the left, who bulldozed his way over Simon Hammersley to cross the whitewash.

Only moments later Falcons hit back, as Young dummied a pass out on the left wing and raced through a gap to dive over and restore their eleven-point lead.

The hosts ramped up the intensity with 20 minutes left and their efforts were rewarded, throwing bodies into the ruck and drawing in the Falcons defence to create space for Atkinson to run over.

In an attempt to retain their home record, Gloucester camped themselves in Falcons’ red-zone and Lewis Ludlow rumbled over from a driving maul to cut the gap to a single point with four minutes to play.

But Twelvetrees pulled his conversion wide and Falcons saw out the game to become the first team to win at Kingsholm this season in the Aviva Premiership.