TOP BAR - Fixtures

Throwback Thursday: Gloucester Rugby 30-19 Exeter Chiefs

Throwback Thursday: Gloucester Rugby 30-19 Exeter Chiefs

Exeter Chiefs will be looking to bounce back from their first Gallagher Premiership Rugby defeat of the season when they take on Gloucester Rugby at Sandy Park.

The two sides will meet in European rugby for the first time since Gloucester’s dramatic Challenge Cup semi-final win over the Chiefs on their way to lifting the trophy in 2015.

Gloucester come into the match one place above Exeter, who sit bottom of Pool 2 and without a win having drawn with Munster and lost to Castres last time out.

The Cherry and Whites began their Champions Cup campaign with a win over Castres but fell to Munster in their second game as Danny Cipriani saw red.

Exeter will have the most recent bragging rights coming into the game as they won the last Premiership game between the two sides 23-6 at Kingsholm. 

Just as he did in that game, Matt Kvesic will come up against his old side and will be hoping for a similar result.

Gloucester would rather reflect on their  win back in 2015 and in anticipation of the clash we have wound back the clock to have a look at how the game unfolded.

Greg Laidlaw, Gloucester

The hosts, who were looking to take something from a disappointing season, should have put the game to bed before the half-time whistle at Kingsholm.

The Cherry and Whites did manage one first-half try when Bill Meakes crashed over the line but they were unable to make good use of their dominance.

Henry Slade kept the Chiefs in touch by nailing a couple of penalties but the Chiefs trailed 13-6 at the break.

Slade knocked over a further two penalties in the opening stages of the second-half to bring Rob Baxter’s men back to within a point of their hosts and that is how it stayed until the late drama unfolded.

Tom Savage pushed Gloucester’s noses further in front when he plucked a loose ball from a driving maul to cross 12 minutes from time.

Greig Laidlaw converted from the tee and added another penalty four minutes from time but Exeter weren’t done there.

Jonny May, Gloucester

As the clock signalled five minutes remaining, they hauled themselves back into the game via an Elvis Taione try, the Tongan forcing the ball over the line for the Chief’s only try of the match.

The momentum looked like it had swung in Chief’s favour until loose hands resulted in a spilled ball and Jonny May pounced on the opportunity to seal the game for Gloucester, swallow diving over the line for victory. 

Gloucester went on to defeat Edinburgh in the final at the Stoop to clinch their first piece of European silverware since 2006.

To get all the latest news from Premiership Rugby sign up to our Newsletter

For more news, try out 2018-2019 Exeter Chiefs Gloucester Rugby News