TOP BAR - Fixtures

Things you may have missed from Round 2 of the Premiership Rugby Cup

Things you may have missed from Round 2 of the Premiership Rugby Cup

With some of their players away on international duty all 12 Gallagher Premiership Rugby sides put on a show in the second round of the Premiership Rugby Cup, with no shortage of future stars on display.

Fans were given a chance to see some of the games up and comings stars as well as a several nail-biting finishes.

For anyone who missed the action, here are some things you may have missed from the six games over the weekend.

Sale Sharks 15-15 Saracens

Saracens dropped points for the first time this season as they were held to a 15-15 draw with Sale Sharks.

The Gallagher Premiership leaders had to come from behind in the clash at the AJ Bell Stadium with Paolo Odogwu and Will Cliff setting up a scintillating grandstand finish.

Tries from young star Joel Kpoku and Matt Gallagher put Saracens in an assured position before Sale bounced back.

Cliff, who scored 10 of Sale’s points, dazzled in the performance, but was denied a winning contribution when Max Malins’ boot sunk the Sharks 13 minutes from the end.

Leicester Tigers 12-31 Worcester Warriors

Worcester Warriors made it five wins on the bounce in all competitions as they recorded a second comfortable Premiership Rugby Cup victory in as many weeks, beating Leicester 31-12 at Welford Road.

They wasted no time in stamping their authority on the fixture as Ted Hill crossed the whitewash inside a minute.

And they refused to let up, sealing a bonus point before the half-hour mark with a couple of lovely long-distance scores.

The Tigers rallied after the break as they made the most of a man advantage, outscoring their opponents in the second period, but never truly looking like chipping away at the Warriors’ hefty lead as Worcester saw out the game in relative comfort.

Exeter Chiefs 25-18 Bath Rugby

Exeter Chiefs managed to grab a draw away at Newcastle Falcons last week but got their first win of the inaugural Premiership Rugby Cup with a 25-18 victory at home to Bath Rugby.

Joe Simmonds kicked eight points from full-back in the match but it was Bath’s Alex Davies who struck early with a penalty – the home side firing back with tries for wing James Short and centre Ollie Devoto.

Ross Batty replied late on in the half but in a yo-yo game Exeter’s Tom O’Flaherty crossed early in the second period before Bath wing Jack Wilson grabbed a double to threaten a comeback.

Chiefs fly-half Harvey Skinner settled the nerves with a late penalty, closing out a closely-fought match between the West Country outfits at Sandy Park.

Wasps 14-15 Northampton Saints

A last gasp winning try from No.8 Mitch Eadie was enough for Northampton Saints to sneak past Wasps at the Ricoh Arena.

His score under the post was converted by James Grayson, 20, after 80 minutes as Saints snuck to a win in Coventry.

It was a good day all round for the young fly-half, who’s exuberant through the legs pass eventually sent Taqele Naiyaravoro away to score, bringing their side back into the game.

Marcus Watson and Tom Willis scored either side of half-time for Wasps to put them 14-0 up but they failed to capitalise after dominating in the first half. The result leaves them bottom of Pool 3 with two to play.

Bristol Bears 21-13 Gloucester Rugby

It was a slow burner at Ashton Gate as Bristol Bears secured a dominant win over Gloucester Rugby under the Friday night lights.

There were plenty of positives for Pat Lam as £1m signing Charles Piutau made his long-awaited debut in the second half.

Bristol heavy Nick Haining eventually made his side’s possession count by getting the first score on the door 27 minutes in from a rolling maul. Callum Sheedy duly added the extras.

Fly-half Owen Williams reduced the deficit from the tee to just one point following the restart, before Piutau’s introduction.

And Dan Thomas made the all-important contribution as Bristol had too much power in the maul to dot down, before Jake Heenan scored the Bears’ third try of the match in style from another set-piece.

Gloucester scored a late penalty try, but their own defensive discipline ultimately proved costly as Lam’s side edged their way back into the contest in Pool 3.

Harlequins 21-23 Newcastle Falcons

Tim Swiel returned to the Stoop and held his nerve to keep Newcastle Falcons unbeaten in the Premiership Rugby Cup so far this season.

The Falcons replacement kicked a late penalty to give his side a dramatic 23-21 win over his former employers Harlequins.

Demetri Catrakilis had a late chance for the hosts but his kick fell just short and the Falcons survived.

After drawing with Exeter Chiefs last weekend, the Falcons hit the front as Pedro Bettencourt and Ben Stevenson both crossed.

But back came Quins through Lewis Boyce and Alex Dombrandt before the late drama set up Swiel to be the hero.

To get all the latest news from Premiership Rugby sign up to our Newsletter