TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Tigers maul hapless Warriors

27 Dec 2004
Tigers maul hapless Warriors

The Premiership leaders simply had too much fire power up front and too much pace out side as they ran in seven tries against the Warriors' solitary score.

And with closest rivals London Wasps failing to get a bonus point from their win over Gloucester, the Tigers stretched their lead to nine points at the top.

With former internationals Martin Johnson and Neil Back showing their class and Geordan Murphy impressing, Worcester were always up against it against the team to beat in 2005.

The Tigers brought back all of their big guns following last weekend's cup defeat to Gloucester, but Worcester were without centres Thomas Lombard (shoulder) and Dale Rasmussen (ribs) while scrum-half Matt Powell was only on the bench because of a groin injury.

The Premiership leaders were in front on six minutes when Andy Goode slotted his first penalty of the day as the Tigers came out of the blocks in style.

Worcester's best early moments came through Thinus Delport, but Leicester's pressure was beginning to show. Certainly, their catch and drive move looked a potent weapon and so it proved after 15 minutes.

Louis Deacon collected line-out ball and the subsequent drive saw Back pounce over the line. Goode's conversion put the Tigers 10-0 to the good.

Worcester defended for most of the first-half, although after 39 minutes the score remained the same with Leicester unable to break through.

However, after 10 minutes of constant pressure on the visitors' line, replacement referee Rob Debney awarded the Tigers a penalty try after losing patience with Worcester's infringing.

Goode stepped up to add the extra points and, barely 60 seconds later, Leicester punished Tony Windo's desperate pass as they counter attacked to devastating effect. Back burst through before off-loading to the supporting Daryl Gibson for a lightning score which Goode once again improved.

The Tigers fly-half obviously was not satisfied with simply kicking the points as, in first-half stoppage time, he dummied his way through a static Worcester defence as Leicester wrapped up their fourth try and the bonus point.

It did not get any easier for the Premiership newcomers as, despite bringing Tommy Hayes and Lee Fortey into the fray, they conceded within seven minutes of the restart. Irish full-back Murphy joined the attack after a line-out win and his 50-metre solo run, including a superb chip over Delport, saw him speed in for Leicester's fifth try of the day which Goode again converted.

Worcester, though, refused to lie down despite the waves of pressure they had to endure. With Craig Gillies looking good in the Warriors' line-out, his side were handed enough possession to stay interested. And, after another Gillies win, the ball was flipped down the line before centre Gary Trueman burst through for Worcester's only try of the day which Hayes converted.

The mini revival did not last long. Another speedy burst down the left saw Murphy break free and his intelligent grubber saw replacement Harry Ellis dive in and Goode convert as the Tigers began to eye 50 points.

That landmark score was reached five minutes before time when Murphy produced some more magic to bamboozle the Worcester half-backs and the full-back's pass put Dan Hipkiss in for the Tigers' seventh try which, once again, Goode improved.

The scorers:

For Leicester Tigers:Tries: Back, Penalty, Gibson, Goode, Murphy, Ellis, HipkissCons: Goode 6Pens: Goode

For Worcester Warriors:Try: TruemanCon: Hayes

For more news, try out Leicester Tigers v Worcester Warriors

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News