TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Quins continue winning run at Worcester

24 Oct 2009
Quins continue winning run at Worcester

Harlequins fully deserved their 26-22 Guinness Premiership victory over Worcester, overcoming the loss of Nick Easter to a leg injury before half-time to collect their fifth consecutive victory at Sixways.

The hosts gave the scoreline a more respectable appearance with a converted try just before the final whistle.

Quins had the first chance on three minutes, but Nick Evans fired a routine kick wide. However, the Londoners maintained the pressure and took the lead two minutes later – keeping possession via a line-out five metres from the Worcester line and setting up a ruck from which Danny Care picked up to score. Evans converted.

Worcester responded, moving the ball skilfully from a scrum at half-way. George Robson was penalised for killing the ball at a ruck, and Willie Walker made no mistake with his 30 metre penalty. But Harlequins restored their advantage minutes later when Evans kicked another penalty, after Rico Gear was penalised for an illegal tackle on Michael Brown.

Worcester’s injury problems worsened when Tevita Taumoepeau left the field with a damaged hand after 19 minutes – and they nearly suffered a further setback moments later when Evans was narrowly beaten to the touchdown by Chris Latham. Evans had the chance to increase his side’s lead – but from the half way line, he hooked his kick well wide.

Quins looked the more dangerous side, but it was Worcester who got the next score when Walker kicked a 35 metre penalty with 12 minutes to go to half-time.

The visitors were then dealt two huge blows in quick succession. First, captain Easter left the field with his injury – and then Ceri Jones was sin-binned following a line-out in their 22. Walker missed with the resulting kick. For the next 10 minutes to half-time, Worcester tried to press home their numerical advantage – but their only reward was a Walker drop goal with the last kick of the half to leave Quins 13-9 ahead at the interval.

Worcester began the second half strongly and were rewarded when Walker reduced the deficit to one point with a penalty goal after 45 minutes.

They kept that advantage when Evans failed to take his chance with his 40 metre penalty attempt and then soon afterwards missed with a 45 metre drop goal, which was virtually his last act before he limped off to be replaced by Rory Clegg after 58 minutes.

Clegg’s first piece of the action was to kick a 40 metre goal – and two minutes later, he added the conversion to a try from Brown which gave Quins a healthy 23-12 lead going into the final quarter. Walker gave Worcester some hope with a simple penalty with nine minutes to go – but Clegg replied with one for the visitors.

Worcester continued to press and were rewarded with a last-minute try from replacement Callum Black – which was converted by Walker, to give the hosts a bonus point.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News