TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Wasps 32 Northampton Saints 30

09 Apr 2017
Match Report: Wasps 32 Northampton Saints 30

Matt Mullan scored a last-minute try to secure a dramatic 32-30 victory for Wasps over Northampton Saints at the Ricoh Arena and extend their unbeaten home league record to 17 matches.

Saints had led 18-13 at half-time after tries from Ben Foden, Alex Waller and George North with Elliot Daly replying for the hosts.

Quickfire tries from Christian Wade and Joe Simpson put the hosts ahead but Ahsee Tuala secured a bonus point for Northampton before Teimana Harrison also crossed.

But Jamie Gibson saw yellow late on and there was just enough time for Mullan to pop up with a late winner for the home side.

It was frantic throughout, with Stephen Myler opening the scoring from the tee early on after as Wasps were penalised for offside.

And the Saints extended their lead when Foden, playing on the wing, pounced to grab a stray Jimmy Gopperth pass in midfield and dot down in the corner.

Myler was unable to add the extras and the league leaders were right back in contention as England’s Daly cut an excellent line in midfield to carve through the Saints defence.

Nobody was able to catch the outside centre as he crossed for his 19th Aviva Premiership Rugby try and, with Gopperth adding the conversion, Wasps trailed 7-6.

The visitors were soon back into the Wasps’ 22 though and after a patient build up, the home side’s defensive numbers were stretched and Waller dived over from short range.

Two Gopperth penalties brought the scores level at 13-13 and the Wasps fly half could have put his side ahead for the first time only to see his kick come back off the post.

And Northampton made full use of their lifeline as George North made his way over the whitewash in the final moments of the half.

Wade lit up the Ricoh Arena early in the second half with an exceptional individual score, seemingly in a dead-end the winger chipped the ball over the Saints defence before collecting.

The winger went over almost uncontested and Gopperth added the extras to put the home side in front for the first time in the match at 20-18.

And Wasps’ lightning fast start to the second half didn’t end there as Simpson found space on the short side despite the attentions of Louis Picamoles for Wasps’ third try.

Saints weren’t finished though as they were held up over the Wasps tryline soon after and from the resulting 5m scrum, Tuala found space on the short side for the bonus point try.

Wasps’ proud home record looked under serious threat as replacement Api Ratuniyarawa punched another hole in their defence and Harrison had Saints’ fifth try.

The league leaders thought they were back level almost immediately as Kurtley Beale fed Willie Le Roux but Joe Launchbury was penalised for obstruction by the TMO and the try ruled out.

But Wasps’ record remained in tact as Gibson was sent to the sin bin and Mullan burrowed his way over the line with Gopperth adding the crucial conversion to seal the win.

Tickets to the Aviva Premiership Rugby Final is on 27 May at Twickenham are now on sale. If you want to have an unforgettable day out at club rugby’s best Cup Final then click here for tickets.