TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Northampton Saints 24 Worcester Warriors 14

25 Feb 2017
Match Report: Northampton Saints 24 Worcester Warriors 14

Mikey Haywood scored two tries as Northampton Saints came from behind to down Worcester Warriors and move into Aviva Premiership Rugby’s top six.

The Warriors, who are 11th in Aviva Premiership Rugby, stunned the home fans with a sixth-minute score from full-back Josh Adams, but from then on in it was Saints who shone.

The Saints bounced back, registering two first-half tries, from England flanker Teimana Harrison and hooker Mike Haywood.

Stephen Myler added seven points with the boot to make it 17-7 at the break, and Haywood scored another try before the end to make the points safe.

Fly-half Ryan Mills, who had added the conversion to Adams’ early effort, missed two penalties that would have given the Warriors a fresh lease of life early in the second half.

And Northampton were happy to finish the game off through Haywood’s score as they recovered from back-to-back Aviva Premiership Rugby defeats to move into the top six.

Bryce Heem scored with the final play of the game for Worcester, but they were to walk away with no reward for their efforts.

The Warriors had enjoyed a dream start as after smashing their opponents in the scrum, they strode through the middle of a wide open defence.

Wynand Olivier was the man who made the break and he timed the pass superbly to allow Adams to score in the corner.

Mills added a conversion from the touchline to stretch the early lead to seven points, but Northampton were quickly at the opposition door, knocking loudly until it opened.

Harrison, who had been released by England earlier in the week, was the man with the try as he popped up at the back of a lineout and ploughed over the line.

Myler added the conversion to level it up at 7-7 and Northampton continued to boss possession, with their fly-half landing a penalty to put his team ahead for the first time.

The Saints were threatening to score another try before the break and after good work from Nic Groom and Ken Pisi, Alex Waller looked set to score, but the ball fell to Haywood, who took the glory.

Myler converted to stretch his team’s advantage to 10 points at half-time and Mills missed the chance to strike back early in the second half, fluffing a penalty attempt before spurning another chance from in front of the posts.

Those misses took any life from the game and there was little action to speak of before Haywood went over to make the game safe for the Saints but Worcester had the last word with a try from Heem.