TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Harlequins 36 Worcester Warriors 14

29 Oct 2016
Match Report: Harlequins 36 Worcester Warriors 14

Joe Marchant’s intercept try brought up the bonus point as Harlequins brushed aside Worcester Warriors in a dominant second half.

Worcester were bright for much of the first 40 and went into the break at 7-7 after Jackson Willison had responded to Danny Care’s early opening try.

But James Horwill and Mike Brown caught the Warriors cold within the first ten minutes of the second half, and despite a try for a lively Ben Te’o, Marchant killed off the game in the final quarter before Tim Visser finished off proceedings.


The Warriors, who won in Aviva Premiership Rugby at the Stoop last season, looked full of vim and vigour from the off – with England prospect Te’o in particular making great strides through the Harlequins line.

But Harlequins opened the scoring and it was gift – Lamb, moments after missing a drop-goal, found a lurking Tim Visser and no one could catch the Scotland international before he sent Care over.


By the tenth minute Worcester were level as a well-crafted lineout move ending up in the hands of Te’o, who shrugged off a tackle and gave Willison a simple finish.

Big carries from Marland Yarde and Luke Wallace helped Harlequins get on top of the visitors for a spell, but a combination of poor passing and rugged defence – with wing Dean Hammond a standout – quelled the threat.

With Joe Marler sin binned for collapsing a maul, Worcester ended the second half on the ascendancy but could add no further points.

The best chance fell to Alafoti Fa’osiliva and, despite his superb break, the Samoan flanker missed a wide open Willison perched on his shoulder.

Quins raced out of the blocks on the turnaround and Hammond denied Visser before the hosts made the breakthrough.

Former Australia captain Horwill plunged over following an irrepressible rolling maul and Nick Evans’ conversion made it a seven-point lead.

And it seemed as if the Warriors were sinking without trace when Brown scythed through from just inside the 22-metre line and finished.

But to their credit the away side came roaring back as Lamb caused hesitance among the Harlequins ranks with his delayed pass to Willison – with Te’o then getting the try his general play deserved.

Jamie Shillcock, taking over kicking duties from Lamb, reduced the deficit to seven.

Phil Dowson’s intercept nearly gave Worcester parity on the hour but the 35-year-old did not quite have the legs of Visser and was caught five metres short of the line.

Shortly after, Evans penalty stretched Quins’ lead out to beyond a converted try before Marchant slammed the door shut on Worcester.

From the restart, Lamb was again intercepted deep into Worcester territory and the speedy Marchant streaked clear to put Harlequins 29-14 to the good with 15 minutes to go.

Visser then grabbed the try his performance deserved after replacement Alofa Alofa put him through at the death.