TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Gloucester Rugby 12 Bath Rugby 17

26 Mar 2016
Match Report: Gloucester Rugby 12 Bath Rugby 17

Semesa Rokoduguni’s second-half double did the damage as Bath Rugby claimed a hard-fought win and a bit of history over West Country rivals Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm.

With the scores tied at 12-12 late on, the in-form Rokoduguni wriggled his way over from close range for the decisive score.

Before then, the boot of Greig Laidlaw had kept the hosts in touch with a Bath side that had scored two tries through Chris Cook and Rokoduguni.

The in-form England winger now has six tries in his last four Aviva Premiership Rugby games and victory means Bath become the first team in league history to win three successive Premiership Rugby fixtures at the famous old ground.

Gloucester came into the clash with only one defeat at Kingsholm since October and started on top.

Two quickfire penalties from Laidlaw – on his return from Six Nations duties with Scotland – opened a 6-0 inside the first ten minutes.

The visitors were starting to click into gear however, a searing Anthony Watson break from full-back putting them on the front foot.

And in the 14th minute they had the game’s first try – Henry Thomas bouncing off two tacklers to burst clear and feed Cook on the inside and the scrum-half raced under the posts.

Ford’s simple conversion put the visitors in front but it was short-lived as Laidlaw’s third penalty of the afternoon came moments later for a 9-7 Gloucester lead.

And that was how it stayed until the break in tricky conditions – Ford missing a tough penalty on the stroke of half-time.

Bath’s last four Premiership games have all been won by the home side but it was they who looked more dangerous from an attacking point of view at Kingsholm.

And soon after the interval they went over for the game’s second try – Charlie Ewels making the initial burst before Ford’s long pass to the right found Rokoduguni who stepped back inside the covering defence to dive over.

This time Ford could not convert from the touchline in the blustery conditions and the visitors led 12-9.

With the hour mark approaching the hosts re-established some dominance and while Francois Louw made a superb turnover on his own try line to deny them – it was a temporary stay of execution.

The Gloucester scrum won a penalty soon after and Laidlaw made no mistake to level up proceedings.

Gloucester beat Bath 15-11 at the Recreation Ground in February, but have not achieved a season’s league double over their near rivals since 2012.

In the final quarter both sides had chances to win it – Ford missing a tough penalty from the left – to set up a dramatic conclusion.

And after Bath looked to have wasted great territory with a messy five-metre scrum it was Rokoduguni who rescued them – powering out of two tackles before wriggling and stretching out to ground the decisive score and claim the local bragging rights.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing

Related News