TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

Match Report: Bath Rugby 37 Worcester Warriors 22

17 Sep 2016
Match Report: Bath Rugby 37 Worcester Warriors 22

Bath Rugby scored four tries as they launched a stunning second-half comeback at the Rec to beat Worcester 37-22 and make it three wins out of three in the Aviva Premiership Rugby.

Worcester’s wait for a win at the Rec, their last came in November 2011, continues despite them leading 17-6 at half-time after tries from Niall Annett and Dean Hammond.

But four Bath tries in the second half from Anthony Watson, Matt Banahan, Semesa Rokoduguni and Leroy Houston saw the hosts continue their strong start to the new season.

Perry Humphreys did score Worcester’s third try in the midst of the Bath blitz but it wasn’t enough to earn a losing bonus point.

After Ford missed an early penalty, it was Worcester who took the lead after 18 minutes through hooker Annett.

Wynard Olivier made the initial break from a Worcester set piece and the ball was eventually worked wide to Annett to touch down.

Heathcote, making his first start of the season, added the conversion to give the Warriors a 7-0 lead.

Ford was on target with his second kick of the afternoon after 26 minutes after Worcester were penalised at the scrum to reduce the deficit.

But Worcester had their second try eight minutes before half time as Jamie Shillcock, making his Aviva Premiership Rugby debut, set up Hammond who evaded the tackle of Tom Homer to cross the whitewash.

Ex-Bath man Heathcote was once again on target with the conversion to make the score 14-3 and the fly-half extended the visitors lead with a penalty as Guy Mercer was penalised for not rolling away.

The hosts just had enough time for a second successful Ford penalty to make the score 17-6 at half-time.

With Heathcote missing an early second-half, Bath brought themselves right back into the game when Watson dotted down between the posts after Houston’s break.

Ford added the extras to make it 13-17 and Rokoduguni thought he had put the hosts into the lead shortly after but he was adjudged to have knocked on after collecting Dan Bowden’s kick.

But a penalty for Bath from the resulting scrum was kicked to the corner and from the resulting line-out George Ford chipped the ball through for Banahan to reach highest and grab before grounding.

And Banahan, playing at outside centre, was instrumental in Bath’s third try as he powered through the midfield before offloading to Rokoduguni to score and with Ford’s conversion the home side led 30-17.

The Warriors weren’t finished yet though as Perry Humphreys held off Watson to score his side’s third try of the afternoon with 15 minutes still to play and bring the score to 30-22.

The home side had their try bonus points five minutes later however as a quick penalty stretched the Worcester defence and No 8 Houston had plenty of space to score his 11th Aviva Premiership Rugby try.

Ford’s extras made the final score 37-22 to leave Worcester empty handed as they headed back up the M5.

Sign up to our newsletter

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Premiership Rugby news, ticketing news, information, offers and exclusive competitions