TOP BAR - Fixtures

Match Stats - Fix Info

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary

London Irish 12 London Wasps 19

30 Nov 2013
London Irish 12 London Wasps 19

London Irish couldn’t mark Topsy Ojo’s 200th appearance for the club with victory as they fell to a 19-12 defeat to London Wasps at the Madejski Stadium.

At half-time Wasps held a slender 13-9 lead as a penalty try and the boot of veteran Andy Goode cancelled out a trio of three pointers for James O’Connor.

And although Goode and O’Connor traded kicks after the interval it was experience that won over youth as the visitors held on, condemning the Exiles to their sixth-straight loss in all competitions.

Meanwhile Wasps ended a run of three consecutive defeats by winning a first Aviva Premiership match in Reading since March 2008.

London Irish started well, claiming the kick-off and opening the scoring inside three minutes through an O’Connor penalty.

However Wasps responded immediately as they won a line-out just inside the Exiles’ 22 and put pressure on the Irish defence through a rolling maul leading to a penalty which Goode converted.

With both sides in the midst of losing runs, the opening 20 minutes saw both teams struggling to find a passing rhythm, with further penalties from Goode and O’Connor leaving the score at 6-6.

Wasps had the majority of possession and territory in this period but handling errors and strong defence by the hosts prevented any real scoring opportunities emerging.

However Wasps began to stretch the Irish defence and they were awarded a penalty try on 35 minutes. Goode chipped a cross-field kick which bounced awkwardly for O’Connor who deliberately knocked-on with Elliot Daly waiting to pounce. O’Connor was sin-binned and Goode converted to give the visitors a 13-6 lead.

Shane Geraghty converted a penalty on 38 minutes to reduce the gap to four points heading into half-time.

But Goode restored Wasps’ seven point lead three minutes into the second half.

O’Connor’s return on 44 minutes coincided with some good pressure from the Exiles. Ojo, making his 200th appearance for London Irish, almost managed to break through the Wasps defence and a few phases later O’Connor was brought down just short of the visitors’ try-line.

The ball was recycled but a knock-on ten metres out prevented an opportunity emerging.

This gave the hosts confidence, with Geraghty breaking from his own half up to the Wasps’ ten metre line but his kick ahead was claimed by Daly before the chasing runners could reach it.

With 15 minutes to go O’Connor converted a penalty to reduce the gap to four.

A minute later Christian Wade, in his first game since November 2, was penalised for holding on and O’Connor attempted another kick from 35 metres near the touchline but saw it drift slightly to the right.

The momentum was now with London Irish and they found themselves camped inside the Wasps half but the visitors’ defence were holding firm.

And they were given some breathing space by the trusted boot of fly-half Goode as he sent a drop goal over with just three minutes of time remaining.

The kick helped put a smile back on Dai Young’s face as just before the London Wasps director of rugby saw Wade limp off the pitch with an ankle injury.

To their credit London Irish didn’t give up and Irish spent the last two minutes camped on the Wasps try line. With time up Wasps’ Charlie Hayter was sent to the sin bin after a number of penalties but Will Helu got his hands on the ball and cleared to touch to secure the win.

Every match in the Aviva Premiership Rugby Season is crucial, to be there to support your team buy your ticket from

For more news, try out Leicester Tigers Match Report Wasps