Director of Rugby Dai Young has named the Wasps squad to take on Gloucester in round eight of the Aviva Premiership, when they travel to Kingsholm this Saturday (1630 kick off).
Matt Mullan captains the side from the front row, where he is joined by Phil Swainston and Tommy Taylor, who returns to the club from England camp.
Packing down behind them will be Matt Symons and Kearnan Myall, while James Gaskell again lines up in the back row, alongside Thomas Young and Guy Thompson.
Dan Robson and Danny Cipriani form the half back partnership, with Jimmy Gopperth and Kyle Eastmond combining in midfield. Rob Miller, Christian Wade and Josh Bassett form Wasps’ back three.
Ahead of the trip to Kingsholm, where Wasps narrowly lost out 13-10 last season, Dai Young said:
“I’m sure there’s going to be lots of talk down there about knocking us over on the weekend, like they did last year, and re-igniting their season. They’ve been unlucky in a few games this year and I think their luck is going to change soon, so we’re certainly wary of how good a team they are.
“It’s up to us to make sure we enforce our game plan and are accurate if we want to get the win. We were on a really good run when we went to Kingsholm last year, but lost the game and that was probably the one loss in some big games that was the difference between us finishing second or third in the table.
“Gloucester have a huge amount of pace and dangerous players in their backline and they have a really strong pack, with a good set piece. Their line speed is also really good so I’m sure they will try to stop us playing and they have a number of players who really like to attack the contact area.”
Wasps team to play Gloucester at Kingsholm
15. Rob Miller
14. Christian Wade
13. Kyle Eastmond
12. Jimmy Gopperth
11. Josh Bassett
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson
1. Matt Mullan ©
2. Tommy Taylor
3. Phil Swainston
4. Matt Symons
5. Kearnan Myall
6. James Gaskell
7. Thomas Young
8. Guy Thompson
16. Tom Cruse
17. Tom Bristow
18. Marty Moore
19. Will Rowlands
20. Ashley Johnson
21. Joe Simpson
22. Frank Halai
23. Alapati Leiua
Injury update starting Phase Two of the season
• James Haskell – toe, expected to return to full-training in December.
• Sam Jones – broken leg & ankle ligament damage, ruled out for the rest of the calendar year.
• Simon McIntyre – has undergone an operation on his ankle and is expected to be out for another couple of months.
• Alex Lundberg- is progressing well from an ankle injury and is due back towards the end of November.
• Jake Cooper-Woolley – knee, expected to return to training in December.
• Kurtley Beale – knee, hoping to return to full-training mid-December.
• Nick De Luca – following concussion protocols
• Craig Hampson – hamstring, expected to return to training next week.
To arrive February:
• Willie Le Roux
On international duty:
• Joe Launchbury, Elliot Daly, Nathan Hughes