Tom Curry’s try against Bristol Rugby on Sunday catapulted him into the Aviva Premiership Rugby’s record books, as the 18-year-old became the third-youngest player ever to cross the whitewash on a Premiership Rugby debut.
The back-rower came off the bench to replace Cameron Neild 68 minutes through Sale Sharks’ trip to Ashton Gate, and took just five minutes of his first ever appearance in English Rugby’s top flight to get on the scoresheet.
Curry had the impressive Mike Haley to thank for his try as the full-back, just called into Eddie Jones’ England squad for the first time, gathered a high ball on the left and beat two defenders before drawing another tackle.
And Curry was just off his shoulder, popping up at the perfect moment to receive the offload and race over the whitewash unchallenged.
Both Tom and his twin brother Ben signed for Sale at the end of last season, and set this year’s Singha Premiership Rugby 7s competition alight in the summer – scoring five tries between them as the Sharks exited at the semi-final stage.
They were both on international duty this summer with England under-18s in South Africa, and Tom has been capped nine times at that level this year.
— Paolo Odogwu (@notoriousPCO) October 30, 2016
Curry was 57 days older than Aviva Premiership Rugby record-holder Jamie Elliott, who is still the youngest player to score on debut at 18 years and 18 days after crossing for Northampton Saints against the Sharks back in 2010.
You have to go back another six years to find the next man on the list; none other than Leicester Tigers’ Mathew Tait – who was five days older than Elliott when he scored for Newcastle Falcons against London Irish.
And with the likes of Saracens’ Billy Vunipola, Wasps’ Rob Miller and Sale teammate Will Addison all also inside the top ten, you can be sure to expect big things from Curry in the coming years.
— Rob Webber (@robwebber2) October 30, 2016
The ten youngest try scorers on Aviva Premiership Rugby debut
- Jamie Elliott – Saints v Sharks, 19-Nov-10 (18y 80d)
- Mathew Tait – Falcons v Irish, 02-May-04 (18y 85d)
- Tom Curry – Sharks v Bristol, 30-Oct-16 (18y 137d)
- Billy Vunipola – Wasps v Leeds, 17-Apr-11 (18y 165d)
- Rory Teague – Gloucester v Rotherham, 13-Sep-03 (18y 213d)
- Rob Miller – Falcons v Bristol, 16-Mar-08 (18y 223d)
- Marcel Garvey – Gloucester v Leeds, 01-Dec-01 (18y 224d)
- Will Addison – Sharks v Gloucester, 08-Apr-11 (18y 231d)
- Tom Homer – Irish v Saracens, 23-Nov-08 (18y 236d)
- Adam Powell – Saracens v Sharks, 25-Sep-05 (18y 267d)