Harlequins is delighted to announce the signing of Australian International Lock James Horwill from Queensland Rugby.
Horwill will join the London Club on a three year deal following the conclusion of the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
Horwill has played 58 times for Australia, captaining the side on 16 of those occasions, including during the 2011 World Cup campaign. He also captained the Australian side, which faced the British & Irish Lions in 2013.
At Club level, Horwill has played over 100 times for Queensland Reds and in 2011 he captained the team to their maiden Super Rugby title.
On confirming the signing Harlequins Director of Rugby Conor O’Shea commented: “I’m delighted that we’ve attracted someone of James’ standing in the game to play for us following the completion of the Rugby World Club next year.
“James is known around the world not only for his uncompromising style of play but also for his strength of character. He will be an asset for us on the field and within the changing room."
Horwill added: “As hard as it will be to leave Ballymore, my team mates, the staff and all my fans and friends in Queensland, I’ve been offered a fantastic opportunity with Harlequins to experience rugby in another part of the world and this is right for me at this stage of my rugby career.
“I’m completely committed to helping the Reds and Australia achieve success in this World Cup year and then I’ll turn my attention to the next chapter of my life in rugby with Harlequins.”
David Ellis, CEO of Harlequins, said: “We are excited to secure someone of James’ character and ability. I know he will fit in well with the squad we have here that Conor and his team are building.
“James has proven himself on the Australian rugby scene and I am sure he will prove himself here.
“We look forward to welcoming him to the Harlequins family and can’t wait to see him in a Harlequins shirt.”
Position: Second Row
Place of birth: Brisbane, QLD
International honours: Australia (58 caps)
Senior Club: University of Queensland
Junior Club: Wests Bulldogs
School: Brisbane Boys College
Representative Honours: Australia A (2006), Australian Wallabies (2007- ), Rugby World Cup (2011)
• Played 100th game for Queensland in 2014
• Became the 77th captain of Australia ahead of 2011 Tri-nations and World Cup
• Captained the Wallabies to 2011 Tri-Nations victory
• Captained the Wallabies during 2011 World Cup
• Captained the Wallabies during 2013 British & Irish Lions tour
• Captained the Reds to their maiden title of the professional era in 2011
• Played for Brisbane City in the inaugural National Rugby Championship in 2014, which Brisbane City won
• Before 2009, Horwill played in every Queensland match possible since his debut in 2006 – stringing together 39 games in succession
• Played Australian U21s in 2005 & 2006• Represented Queensland at schoolboy, U19 and ‘A’ level.