Premiership Rugby's On the Front Foot programme helps children develop a set of character traits, attributes and behaviours that underpin success in education and work.
Kicking off in April 2015, On the Front Foot is delivered by community coaches from the 12 Aviva Premiership Rugby clubs, in addition to London Welsh and Bristol Rugby. It has:
- Reached 250 schools.
- Increased resilience, focus and confidence in 11,254 children in 407 Year 6 children classes for the transition into secondary school.
- Enhanced focus, discipline, confidence and aspiration of 3,887 Year 9, 10 or 11 pupils in 152 mainstream classes and 2,360 young people considered "at risk" through a tailored kinaesthetic learning package.
- Instilled the grit, optimism, drive and focus needed for 480 16-18 year old NEETs to succeed and return to education, enter training or paid work.
It does this by:
- Delivering six, weekly sessions, each focusing on a rugby core value - Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline, Sportsmanship.
- Engaging primary school children with one hour of classroom interactive games and tasks is reinforced by one hour of "rugby + reflection".
- Motivating secondary pupils with one hour of "rugby + reflection" teaching is given either in the classroom or through a wraparound kinaesthetic learning package.
- Teaming up with the University of Birmingham's Jubilee Centre of Character and Virtues. Experts from the Centre advised the Premiership Rugby Community Team on creating classroom sessions with strong educational foundations.
Click on the below links to download resources:
On the Front Foot - Primary
On the Front Foot - Secondary - Classroom
On the Front Foot - Secondary - Practical
Demos On the Front Foot report